- International Success: 35+ years of experience, mostly on the international scene covering a wide range of products/services, always achieving stretch goals under very challenging circumstances. Countries lived in include Singapore, Russia, India, Indonesia, and Nigeria. Market coverage includes most of the Asia Pacific, North America, and Western Europe. Good understanding of US, European, African, and Asian culture.
- Acceptance of ‘change’ as a way of life: Have a proactive mindset that has allowed me to consistently demonstrate the willingness and ability to adapt to new ideas and learn new ways both from a cultural and business perspective. Have had an equal amount of success as a change agent, responsible for initiating culture change in many countries of the Asia Pacific Region.
- Strategic thinking: Clear lateral thinking and analytical ability, with a strategic long term focus, has helped me create innovative competitive strategies to succeed in difficult and complex circumstances.
- Result oriented and confident personality: Extremely articulate with the ability to interact with CEOs across different industries. Being measurement oriented, have time and again demonstrated the drive and energy to shrink the time to results. Well networked with senior officials in Government, Asian Business Houses, and MNCs. Demonstrated true leadership skills with a proven ability to be task oriented without sacrificing teamwork.
- Relationship Marketing and Brand Building: These are two strengths, which I believe will be an asset to any organization that recognizes the power of the one to one future, as also the role of strong client relationships and brand building in the drive for differential competitive advantage.
- Executive Coach and Mentor: Over the years I have developed a strong capability to help my colleagues and clients achieve greater balance in terms of achieving clarity of thought and action, thereby helping them maximize their unfulfilled potential.
Citizenship : Singaporean
Date of Birth : May 14, 1954 (58)
Wife : Misha Nambiar (50)
Business Manager Incentive Travel, Global Travel
Daughter : (24) Human Capital Analyst,
Deloitte Consulting USA
Son : (21) Junior at Tufts University, Boston
Education and Affiliations:
- BA (Honors) in Economics and Statistics – Bombay University
- D.A.P.R. – Post Graduate Diploma in Advertising and Public Relations, Bombay, Gold Medalist, and first in class
- F.C.I.M. – Fellow, The Chartered Institute of Marketing (UK) Founder President, Singapore Branch of the CIM (UK) 1996. Recipient of the CIM President’s Award (1997) for contribution to the Marketing profession
- MBA – National University of Singapore (spokesperson for their global ad campaign) specializing in Marketing and Finance
- Memberships: American and British Institutes of Management. The Economist Conferences Regional Manager’s Club. Member, Advisory Council, of “Peaceful Settlement” – an organization for International Dispute Resolution. Champion of SIFE and member of their International Oversight Board.
- Attended several management development programs including specialized courses like Finance for Marketing (M.I.L.-UK), EMD Forum conducted by IMD of Switzerland, Management of Services (INSEAD), Advance Management Program with North Western University(Kellogg), Strategic Leadership for Partners, and Achieving Breakthrough Customer Service ( Harvard)
- Publications: Have written several Thought Leadership Publications – Competing to Win, Marketing Effectiveness in Singapore, Best Practices of Fast Growth Entrepreneurs, and Building Trusted Relationships etc.
- Languages – Native English, Conversational Indonesian/Malay, Intermediate Russian, and several Indian Languages
- Member of the KPMG Asia Pacific Management Committee, as well as the Global Markets Steering Group. Appointed to the Oversight Board of KPMG India in 2006.
- Strong leadership presence – very experienced and confident individual. Is one of five senior National University of Singapore MBA Alumni, providing testimonials in their global TV, Press, and magazine ads. Is currently the Chairman of the Board of Advisors for their MBA program. Extremely well networked individual with strong government and business connections across the Asia-Pacific region. He has been getting several offers to sit as an independent Director on Boards of well established listed companies which he has to turn down because of independence issues due to his role in KPMG. He has lived and worked in diverse cultures across the world- India, Indonesia, Russia, Nigeria, Middle East, US, and the Asian region.
- As Vice President of Kodak in India, he has had the distinction of successfully planning and launching the most successful camera in the history of the market. This was the very first camera manufactured by Kodak in Bangalore. He is also credited with the successful conceptualization and launch of the Kodak Express chain of retail operations with mini-labs for photo processing in India. Today Kodak has well over 600 such retail stores. Was selected as one of 28 leaders all over the world to attend Kodak’s leadership development program at IMD. Was the leader of the winning team that presented on “Is Kodak a learning organization? Was the firm’s team leader who made excellent breakthroughs in labor relations under very trying circumstances purely on the strength of his leadership style.
- At the Bata Shoe Company, he had the onerous task of establishing their sports brand “Power” against the global brands like Nike and Adidas in Indonesia and south-east Asia. Was able to outsell and out-market them with a much smaller ad budget.
- During his stint with Golden Tobacco he achieved the highest growth rate amongst regions as the head of Western India. Then as Brand manager launched two successful cigarette brands nationally. Later as Export manager, developed the Middle East markets to make his brand the largest single export brand from India.
- As Marketing Manager for Tolaram International, was instrumental in establishing one of Nigeria’s largest Fish Net manufacturing companies. He initiated a branding program for fishing nets which until then was marketed as a commodity. This resulted in establishing a clearly differentiated product making it the largest selling net in Nigeria.
- At Ernst & Young he started out as the head of Business Advisory Services in Russia. Was extremely successful, being the point person for all US and European companies developing their market entry strategies into Russia. He was so successful in developing strong relationships with the Russians and providing mediation with western companies that he was made the Asia Pacific Advisor to Sir Geoffrey Howe’s Mediation organization for conflict resolution “Peaceful Settlement”. Was on the Global Marketing Steering committee that helped develop and build the Ernst & Young global branding campaign. Was also on the early development team to help conceptualize and setup the Global Client Consulting entity in Asia Pacific. Helped to develop and successfully launch E&Y’s Entrepreneur of the Year Award program particularly in Asia Pacific. Developed a strong reputation for building client relationships and providing support to CEOs on cross border transactions with a focus on developing entry strategies into new markets in the region.
- At KPMG he has developed a program entitled ‘Building trusted relationships” with Dr. Robert Cialdini, Regent’s Professor of Psychology in Arizona State University. This program has been successfully implemented globally and he has been shaping Partner behavior in client interaction and achieving differential advantage. Recently he attended the Harvard program on ‘Achieving Breakthrough Customer Service’ and the professors have used him for their testimonial for the program from then on. As the head of the Global Markets Program he was responsible for USD 2 billion+ revenue in the region with a team of markets heads in each country supported by industry sector heads who report to them. His biggest strength is driving revenue and profit growth, targeting, and key account management based on consistently delivering value to clients.
- He has been directly and indirectly involved in providing advisory services in areas like market entry strategy, maximizing return on IT spend, supply chain efficiency, dealer performance development, change management, cost reduction strategies, strategic planning, real estate development, government lobbying, etc for clients like Nokia, Starbucks, General Motors, Philip Morris, Kraft, MacDonald, Nissan, Samsung, LG, Singapore Technology, Intercontinental Hotels, Pacific Star, Delifrance, TVS Group, Zee, Essel Propak etc. The focus has always been on performance improvement to deliver greater stakeholder value. He addressed the HR heads of leading MNCs in Singapore on their need to create greater impact on their organizations. The Prime Minister’s office heard about it and invited him to present to their team as well. He has been involved in writing several thought leadership documents, based on his industry insights. His forte has been to work with large global corporations and entrepreneurs who have been interested in cross-border acquisitions and JVs, as a means of driving growth.
- In his current role since early 2008 as the regional head of Cross Border Investments, Pratap focuses on deal origination (investment opportunities) across different industries and countries in the Asian region (source countries and destination countries) as a means of building long term client relationships. These are specific opportunities that typically fall under the radar of large investment banks but represent significant strategic relevance to the growth and development of KPMG in the region.
- Pratap has demonstrated very strong people management skills, combined with his core competence in finance, sales, and marketing all through his career. This has allowed him to facilitate several Strategic Business Planning and Scenario Planning sessions for internal and external clients in several countries of the ASPAC region. He has always stressed on increasing the commercial value of enterprises for the long term. He is also involved with the SIFE (students in free enterprise) organization for community development, and was named Champion of SIFE at the Toronto world cup event last year. He sits on the SIFE International Oversight Board. He has been very visible in the business community and has spoken at several events and seminars.
Pratap has been involved in debates, discussions, elocution, etc., right since school and college days. He also participated in the field of Dramatics, having put up public performances in Bombay. He has been writing English poetry for some time, and the Writer’s Workshop, Calcutta, has published his first collection of verse called “Over the Years”. Recipient of the Editor’s Choice Award for Outstanding Achievement in Poetry (1997) from The National Library of Poetry, USA. His latest book “Straight from the Heart” was launched on 19 September by Ethos Books and National Art Council Singapore. As a freelance writer, he has from time to time written for newspapers like Business Times, Times of India, Sunday Times, Jakarta Post, Indian Management, etc. Was on the panel of Judges for the Audio/Visual category at the 24th All-India Advertising Awards conducted in Bombay. Been on the panel of speakers at the Trade Development Board of Singapore’s International Trade Day since 1996. Also involved with the Economic Development Board’s Innovation Awards. Currently a member of the Advisory Council of “Peaceful Settlement” an organization for International Dispute Settlement. Founder President of the Singapore Branch of The Chartered Institute of Marketing (UK). Excellent sportsman, playing tennis, squash, golf, cricket, etc. Been a member of several clubs in India, Nigeria, Indonesia and Russia. Currently a member of the Singapore Island Country Club, Singapore Cricket Club, One Degree Fifteen, and the American Club. Ex-Vice President of the Singapore Lawn Tennis Association.Leave a reply