Leadership Development – A brief note
The New Standard for Leadership Development – (The Leadership Circle Profile -TLCP) – Introduction
The Leadership Circle Profile is designed to accelerate leadership effectiveness beyond traditional competency-based approaches. When it comes to developing leaders, training to enhance competencies alone does not work very well. For more rapid and lasting results, it is crucial that organizations help leaders gain deeper insight into their behaviour and what is driving it. The Leadership Circle Profile™ is the only 360 degree assessment that simultaneously provides focused competency feedback while revealing the underlying self-limiting beliefs and assumptions that shape a leader’s pattern of action and habits of thought. The Leadership Circle Profile helps leaders understand the relationship between how they habitually think, how they behave, and, more importantly, how all this impacts their current level of leadership effectiveness. Once this awareness is established, leadership development can proceed. Without it, change rarely happens.
As the world becomes more complex, more competitive and keeps changing, leaders need to recognize the need to upgrade their consciousness (inner beliefs and assumptions, their perspectives, their world view). As the external environment becomes more complex, it becomes necessary to develop a more complex structure of mind as well. Otherwise they will find themselves with an operating system that is unable to cope and will crash like the old DOS used to till it was replaced by Windows. Structure drives performance, and if leaders do not create the appropriate outcome creating structure of mind, they will not be able to achieve their performance goals.
The Leadership Circle Profile is the only 360 degree profile that measures both competency and underlying beliefs/assumptions and it does so in two primary leadership domains: Creative Competencies and Reactive Tendencies.
Two Domains of Leadership
- Creative competencies are well-researched competencies that measure how leaders achieve results, bring out the best in others, lead with vision, enhance your own development, act with integrity, and encourage and improve organizational systems.
- Reactive tendencies are leadership styles that emphasize caution over creating results, self-protection over productive engagement, and aggression over building alignment. These self-limiting styles overemphasize the focus on gaining the approval of others, protecting oneself, and getting results through high control tactics.
The information in the Leadership Circle Profile is rich, thorough, and elegantly organized to elucidate patterns and interactions among all dimensions. The leader can quickly see the whole story and gain insights into his/her creative strengths, the competencies that need development, and the deeper issues that are giving rise to the patterns of competency over/under utilization.
Like any well-crafted recipe, the ingredients come together as a complex but integrated whole. To symbolize this, the results are graphically displayed in a circle. The placement of dimensions in the circle quickly shows how all of the dimensions interact with each other. The whole picture–strengths and weakness, balance and imbalance, internal operating system, and external competency–is immediately apparent.
- State of the Art Internet Capable.
- Extensive Support Materials facilitate reflection, learning, and behaviour change long into the future.
- Research Basis. Leadership Circle Profile is a world class, thoroughly researched, and validated instrument.
- Organizational Data. The organization can receive summary data on any division, department, or team that will support organizational measurement needs. This turns the Leadership Circle Profile into a powerful culture assessment and development tool.
- Normative Data. All results are reported in comparison to an ever-growing norm base. Consequently, the Leadership Circle Profile is a powerful way for a leader to compare him/herself to others inside and outside the organization. It also provides a stable base for year-to-year metrics.
- Versatile. Data report-out options are available. Self-report data can be compared to an average score of all those providing feedback, and/or feedback can be split out by boss, peer, and direct reports. In addition, the norm base used for percentile comparisons can be selected. Results can be compared to the entire norm base, a select industry group, profession, and/or organizational level.
- The Complete System. The Leadership Circle Profile is the most complete 360°profiling system for enhancing leadership development, executive coaching, leadership training, organizational assessment, and feedback available today.
Benefits & Advantages of the Leadership Circle Profile
Leadership Circle Profile provides a comprehensive metric for tracking leadership development and cultural change. It greatly augments your organization’s leadership development because it:
- Reveals to the leader what is going on beneath the surface and what may be keeping them stuck in outdated modes of behaviour.
- Evokes deeper personal awareness. Change can only happen when awareness changes.
- Enhances the value of executive coaching and saves time. The coach instantly sees an integrated picture, which reveals insights very quickly.
Leadership Circle Profiles are:
- More Revealing–It is the only leadership profile tool that links leadership competencies to core beliefs that govern behaviour.
- More Advanced–Instantly reveals key opportunities for your executive’s development without requiring an executive coach to read through reams of documentation. Leadership Circle Profile enables executive coaching to start at a breakthrough conversation rather than require months trying to reach one.
- More Than Just an Assessment–The rich theoretical underpinnings of the Leadership Circle Profile provide a pathway to transformation. No other tool of this type offers this.
- More Efficient–Leadership Circle Profile is remarkably easy to use and allows a coach to meet an executive “where they are” without spending valuable coaching time finding out where that is.
- Widely Accepted–Leadership Circle Profile is a world class solution that is used by leading national and international organizations, government agencies, and top universities across the globe.
Effective leadership outperforms ineffective leadership, and contributes to organizational effectiveness. This is why we think leadership is a primary competitive advantage and strategic priority. The effectiveness of the leadership system in an organization determines, to a large degree, the organization’s performance, especially in volatile and uncertain business environments. No organization can perform at a level of consciousness higher than the collective consciousness of its leaders. That is why it is critical to upgrade the operating system of the collective leadership, and not just a few leaders.
Download a PDF version of this article here.